The Dana Palmer House, Harvard University

Cambridge, Massachusetts
Cambridge Historic Commission Preservation Award 2007
Chang & Sylligardos Architects

The detailed restoration of this historic house accommodates necessary adaptive improvements while preserving the historic quality and dignity. Dating to 1821, the wood framed building underwent substantial interior reconfiguration, restoration of the exterior, a full accessibility upgrade, and structural and mechanical improvements. The spatial quality of the entrance hall and stairway was preserved and traditional decorative fixtures were refurbished and reused. The original post and beam structure was supplemented with new engineered supports within old floors and walls. Window casing and decorative surrounds were restored and single glazed windows maintained, with storm windows added. A masonry chimney was rebuilt to exactly match its existing mate and the worn roof balusters and rails, silhouette facsimiles of the originals, were replaced with three dimensional reproductions, recreated using historic photos.

Photographs: Eric Roth

footer